As the year draws to a close and the prospect of a new year approaches, the excitement of New Year’s resolutions is upon us all. We all make a set of goals and objectives trying to make our year better, our lives better. The truth is that studies show that 12 percent of men and 10 percent of women actually achieve their resolutions.
So, I thought I would share what I have learned in 2010 with the idea in mind that it may help myself and perhaps you in setting your goals for 2011.
1. Be the kindest person you can be and the world will come to you.
2. Show gratitude every day and in every way. Thank you are the two most important words in any language.
3. Eat better, sugar and processed foods are not good.
4. Just because the label says it’s natural doesn’t make it good for you.
5. Drink at least 1 litre of water every day, if you can 2 litres.
6. Have the conversations you need to have, even if they scare you (this one I need to always work on).
7. Facebook is not the greatest thing in the world.
8. Playing on the Wii is not the same as playing outside.
9. Many parents are too over protective and could do well to remember their childhood.
10. Making someones day doesn’t take cash.
11. Reading a book is a still awesome. Including the BOOK OF AWESOME.
12. The value of a hand written note has way more value then an email or text message.
13. I can always be better and you can make that choice every day.
14. The more you give the more you get.
15. I really enjoy a glass of red wine.
16. I love taking my dog for a walk. Be outside more in 2011.
17. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side.
18. Grow where you are planted.
19. Journal, journal, journal! If your life is worth living, it’s worth recording.
20. Get up earlier.
21. Simplify your life. Clutter in your world = clutter in your mind.
22. I have a lot to learn - So do you.
23. It’s ok to say no.
24. It’s ok to say “I don’t know.”
25. Ask your parents about their childhood.
26. I don’t always have to make my kids life “better” than yours. My life (and yours) was probably pretty good.
27. Spend more money on a good mattress than a good TV.
28. Summer Camp is a good thing that every child should experience.
29. Apple has the best customer service in any industry.
30. Writing a gratitude list is a very good thing.
31. 1% actions steps are the key to all success. Break down your goals.
32. I can make a New Year’s Resolution at any time. In fact the 1st of January isn’t the best day (statistically proven).
33. I am incredibly lucky to be alive, live in the country I do and have the family I have. Thank you.
Happy New Year to all! Forward this list if you think it’s valuable.
Thanks to all those that have supported me, YLCC, OSLC and all that we do.